Bonjour,

Un questionnaire d'Air Transport News au CEO de l'IATA

IATA & OACI / ICAO

Les émissions polluantes de l'aviation civile et les objectifs

La  “Smart Security”

Les modèles LCC & les long courriers

Comment il voit l'évolution du transport aérien pour les 10 prochaines années

[Vous devez être inscrit et connecté pour voir ce lien]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ATN  : 

Under your leadership there is a closer relationship between IATA and other key stakeholders such as ACI, ICAO. 

How important is this collaboration for the future of aviation? In which areas do you plan to cooperate more in the future  ? 

TT: As I have said on several occasions I believe these relationships are important as we can get much more done with airports if we have a good relationship with ACI, for example in the area of air navigation. 

We have always had a very good relationship with ICAO, our head office in Montreal in Canada is just across the street and we do cultivate relationships and make sure that it works well. 

With airports for example there are always things that we disagree about, their charges come out of our revenues, they want to increase their revenues we want to reduce their charges. We are always going to argue about that but we do not let that be the focus of our relationship, 

There are so many things where we need to cooperate and I think we get along and we cooperate very well: safety is the most absolutely important area but there are other as well: heavy taxation on the industry: that’s as much their business as our business. 

There is big interest in combining to lobby and influence governments; anything we can do to facilitate travelling, to make the experience for the passenger easier on the ground as well as in the air. 

That requires a lot of cooperation and support from airports. If we can get engaged with airports to help them when they are designing new facilities or planning new investments we can make it a win-win situation. We love it when they invest, it will work better if they consult us. It is more likely that they will consult us if we have a strong relationship built on mutual benefit. We have very good relationships with a number of airports. 

The same goes with the freight forwarding community. As with the airport community, there are things that are difficult to get agreement about--although not as many as you might think. One of the things that became very obvious to me when I arrived was that there was a need to modernize our cargo agency programme because it was built with the idea that they were just that, agents. They were agents and we, the airlines, were the principals. .

Today, with more than 80% of transactions being performed by forwarders acting as principals, it has become clear that this industry has been transformed: the most important  guys are the principals, and we  have to recognise that change to the business relationship that exists today between airlines and their forwarder customers. 

That’s why we are working with the International Federation of Freight Forwarders Associations (FIATA) on the Cargo Agency Modernization Program (CAMP)  that will make, I think, significant progress next year.  I am looking forward to seeing the developments in these areas. Cooperation and working together is essential if the air cargo industry is to thrive.

Dernière édition par Ostair le Mar 11 Fév 2014, 13:57, édité 1 fois
Ostair
CLUB

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

Re: IATA : les questions et réponse de Tony Tyler

Message par Ostair le Mar 11 Fév 2014, 13:45

ATN : Do you believe we are within/on target for carbon neutral for 2020 (carbon-neutral growth from 2020 (CNG2020)) ?

TT: I believe we made big progress with ICAO in October with the resolution that came out of the Assembly that sets the course for the next three years. We now need to come together in a process to be driven by ICAO to develop the plan for market-based measures for 2020 along with the plan for improving infrastructure, improving operations, investing in technology. 

We cannot achieve CNG2020 only with market-based measures, we need to improve those other three pillars as well; it is a four-pillar strategy to get there, there is a clear roadmap path set up by ICAO. 

What is required is a lot of hard work:industry working with governments and governments working together and negotiating with each other, because –market based measures are an important component. 

Achieving an agreement is going to require compromise and diplomacy to bring together all the different constituents of ICAO—small island states, developing nations, the Western states, the BRICS countries, and so on. This is a huge task and let’s not under-estimate the challenge. 

But I think that with goodwill and commitment from the world community it is an achievable task. Unfortunately, Europe has again thrown us out of the works. We were all in disbelief when only a few days after the summit ended, Europe announced proposals to include international aviation in its ETS  (Emissions Trading Scheme) an approach which was discussed, debated and roundly rejected at the Assembly. 

The proposal is in a different form but nonetheless is badly thought out and there are a number of serious designs faults in it. Putting that aside and putting aside whether it is legal in international law, it is ill-advised politically. 

If you seriously and sincerely want to adhere to a global scheme, which is what they say they want, they should be doing what they can to facilitate and support that.

And doing something which is provocative to the international community will give to those that are against moving towards a global scheme every opportunity to deflect and divert the discussion from “What we are going to do for 2020 and how we are going to make it work” into “Europe is trying now  to overreach now itself”. 

This effort needs cooperation, support, communication. It needs the coming together of the community of nations to get this done and what Europe has just done is to undermine that and it will take of the oxygen out of the process. 

Too many three-year cycles of assemblies have been wasted already arguing about European ETS. This threatens to waste another three years. 

I hope I am wrong. I hope that we will have an outbreak of common sense and pragmatism. 

I understand that it is not popular with the European airlines but I believe they can see and recognize the long-term importance of the global scheme and the most obvious way forward is to find a way of extending the current carbon arrangements and then everybody getting down to working  out what to do for 2020 and have that done by 2016 so the next assembly can put its imprint on that and  move forward to implement.
Ostair
CLUB

Message par Ostair le Mar 11 Fév 2014, 13:49

ATN: What about the New Distribution Capability? How will this change the way people fly ?

TT: It will change the way people buy their tickets and their overall shopping experience because it will provide them with much more information about the products the airline has to offer. 

NDC will do that in a way that it will ease the comparison of an airline’s product with another and an airline’s pricing with another in a dynamic way. 

We expect with NDC that travel agents will have systems available where they will be able to show you the whole spectrum of an airline’s product offer, you will be able to choose what you want and watch the price change in real time. 

That will be hugely beneficial for the consumers. And it will be great for the airlines because airlines’ invest in products in order to differentiate themselves. 

They have different ways of serving customers, different ways of presenting what they serve, different ways of pricing what they serve. With the current available systems they can’t do a good job of showing it to the market.  

I do not think anybody argues that anymore.  

In a world where airlines did not unbundle their products, did not invent new products, perhaps this did not matter very much, But now the key to success of the business is differentiating, unbundling, providing value-added services for a fee; If you want value-added you are going to pay for it by definition. Airlines need new ways of showing this to the market and NDCs will provide that.
Ostair
CLUB

Message par Ostair le Mar 11 Fév 2014, 13:51

ATN : The check point for the future: “Smart Security”

TT : We just signed an MoU (a Memorandum of Understanding) with ACI (Airports Council International) to work with them and get this into airports and I think it will make a huge difference, to getting adoption. 

We are very pleased that this is happening. 

Governments were engaged with this, the  technology industry is also engaged in this because Smart Security involves bringing together new technology, especially new screening technology with information on who passengers are so that we can better allocate resources from the current “one size fits all” model to deal with ever more passengers.

We announced in December the two airports - Amsterdam Schiphol and London Heathrow- that are going to have first generation pilot checkpoints—that’s the early version before the full implementation. I am travelling tonight and I know the part of the journey I am not going to enjoy is security. 

This should not be the case. 

Even with today’s technology we can create a better experience. Great things are happening in the United States in the security area-it is called PreCheck which is essentially a known-traveler channel  screening- and it makes sense. 

If it is possible for the United States to improve things so much, then it is a great point for the rest of the world to get on board the Smart Security programme.
Ostair
CLUB

Message par Ostair le Mar 11 Fév 2014, 13:52

ATN : What is the next big thing for IATA? What are the priorities and challenges for 2014 ? 

TT:  For the industry as a whole, staying profitable is the big challenge. 

IATA is focused on addressing the targets and priorities set by our board. 

These are very demanding and cover areas such as enhancing safety in Africa and implementing Enhanced IOSA; improving security including deploying Smart Security pilot checkpoints at two airports next year, helping to facilitate a global agreement on Market-based Measures under ICAO, expanding e-Air Waybill penetration, improving the already very high settlement rates and accuracy for our financial systems and so forth.
Ostair
CLUB

Message par Ostair le Mar 11 Fév 2014, 13:53

ATN :  What do you think will be the role of LCC in the future? Do you think that LCC long-haul model will expand 

TT: I don't think there necessarily is a pure low fare and pure network model anymore. What we are seeing is a bit of a blending. For example, LCCs are turning to traditional distribution channels to sell their tickets, while network carriers are pursuing the unbundling model more typical of low fare carriers. Concerning the expansion of LCCs into the long-haul intercontinental markets, I think it is fair to say that to date LCCs have not found this an easy market to penetrate. Many of the efficiencies associated with the LCC model--very short ground turns, additional rotations and use of less congested secondary and tertiary airports are not always possible in intercontinental flying. Never say never, but the formula has yet to be cracked by more than a handful, if that.
Ostair
CLUB

Message par Ostair le Mar 11 Fév 2014, 13:55

ATN: Do you see more LCC joining IATA in the near future ?

TT: Our board has challenged us to expand the membership of IATA and we believe we offer an attractive value proposition to many different business models. The global standards we develop benefit the entire industry, as do our safety initiatives such as IOSA and Enhanced IOSA. Through programs such as Fast Travel, and Smart Security we are helping to create a smoother, more efficient experience for air travelers and our financial systems make possible the movement of hundreds of billions of dollars each year swiftly and securely.
Ostair
CLUB

Message par Ostair le Mar 11 Fév 2014, 13:55

ATN :  How do you see the air transport industry 10 years from now ? 

TT: I am an optimist, so I believe the industry will continue to improve in terms of our already high levels of safety and environmental efficiency, as well as creating even more value for our customers. 

I think the bigger challenge lies in persuading more governments of the enormous value aviation creates for the economy. 

If we are successful, from that will spring a mindset that is focused on enabling aviation to be a catalyst for growth, meaning the development of sufficient airspace and airport infrastructure, a removal of the punitive taxes and charges with which we are saddled in many countries; and commercial regulation that treats aviation like other transportation sectors, and allows the forces of the marketplace to work by rewarding those companies that do a good job of satisfying their customers and punishing those that don't.
Ostair
CLUB

Message par Contenu sponsorisé

Contenu sponsorisé

Voir le sujet précédent Voir le sujet suivant Revenir en haut